Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Magic Study, by Maria V. Snyder

Genre: Sci Fi/Fantasy
Spoiler free description: Yelena, ex-poison taster to the Ixian Commander now goes south to her homeland of Sitia to be reunited with the family she doesn't remember. She'll also be trained to use her magical powers. But from the very first things don't go smoothly, and on top of everything bad that's happening, she really misses Valek.
The best: Well written! I didn't want to put it down. I kept trying to figure out what would happen next and who was behind it. I enjoyed this book even more than Poison Study, as Yelena is stronger in this book and not so crippled by her circumstances. I love a heroine who can learn! I also really enjoyed how realitic I found the emotional side of things. Problems don't just magically go away, and past hurts influence how the present is seen. Also, I enjoy being surprised by characters... especially when, after it happens, you can nod to yourself and say, "yes, that makes sense, I should have seen it coming" Great, subtle forshadowing. Wonderful!
The worst: Really not a worst. It got a little complicated at times.
Grade: A

No comments: